Why do I need to sign up?
Open eBooks is able to make new, high-quality eBooks available to schools and programs serving children in need thanks to generous support from our partners and publishers. By signing up with First Book or Clever, you are verifying that Open eBooks will be used by children in need.
If you are interested in accessing Open eBooks for your family and are not an educator, librarian or program leader, please direct your child’s educator to this site to request an Open eBooks access code on your child’s behalf.
Get Started with First Book
Educators, librarians and program leaders working with children and youth from in-need families can sign up with First Book to receive free access to the Open eBooks app. First Book is a nonprofit organization that provides access to high quality, brand new books and educational resources - for free and at low cost - to schools and programs serving children in need. Once signed up with First Book, you will have access to Open eBooks, as well as access to the First Book Marketplace for low-cost books and resources, and the First Book National Book Bank for free books.
There are three simple steps to get started and access Open eBooks:
- SIGN UP – Sign up with First Book for free.
- DOWNLOAD AND ACCESS — You will then receive an email with the requested access codes and download instructions for the app.
Contact First Book at 866-READ-NOW or via email.
Get Started with Clever
Clever is the platform that powers technology in the classroom. Today, one in three innovative K-12 schools in the U.S. trust Clever to secure their student data as they adopt learning apps in the classroom.
To get started with Clever, district administrators must add Open eBooks to the Clever Dashboard.
- Log into your Clever Dashboard
- Request Open eBooks
- Scope the entire district with the application. Title I Schoolwide Program schools will have access to the application. Note: the application is NOT added to the student portal because there is no webpage yet. It must be downloaded by students individually.
Visit the Clever Help Center.
Logging into Open eBooks
Once kids have their access code or Clever login, they can access the Open eBooks app on up to six devices.
- On an iOS or Android device, open the app store and type in "Open eBooks"
- Click to install the app
- Open the app and select your method for login